COURSE CODE: DSP 211
TYPE: FLW COURSE
(Full learning weeks)
UOFN CREDITS: 12 CREDITS
DTS – SEPTEMBER 2018
Come, join us and get ready to experience growth, adventure, challenge and so much more as we journey together with God. Here at YWAM Harpenden we train and prepare young people to live a lifestyle of missions, whether you feel called into full time Christian ministry or to the other spheres of society.
This is one DTS but with 3 differently focused tracks; FRONTIERS, SPORTS & ADVENTURE, and COMMUNICATIONS & MEDIA. Each week we will meet in our track groups to explore, through teachings, group projects and activities, how we can further bring God’s Kingdom to that area. As a YWAM DTS our main focus will always be missions and discipleship, and so, as go out on outreach we will look at how we can use our passions for the tracks to impact the nations and build His Kingdom.
Can you imagine what God can do in you in just 6 months?
CHECK OUT OUR TRACKS BELOW
In our Frontiers Track you will be challenged to look at the least reached, hardest places on earth and to ask God how can we impact these places with the good news of Jesus. We will explore things like what are unengaged, unreached people groups, where on earth do they live, and how do we cross religious and cultural barriers to reach them. We will engage locally with people from some of the least reached places on earth. We will also be meeting and impacting people from these groups whilst overseas during our Outreach phase of the DTS. Our hope is that it will be the beginning of an adventure of knowing and following God to the ends of the earth.x
SPORTS & ADVENTURE TRACK
In our Sports & Adventure Track we will be exploring how we can develop and use our skills and passions for sport and adventure to build community, promote positive identity and to see how we can use sport and adventure activities to reach the nations with the good news of Jesus. We will explore things like: A Biblical basis for sport, Teamwork and Using sports & adventure in evangelism. During the lecture phase of the DTS we will study and play together often, and engage with local sporting groups. We will be running sports camps and adventurous activities during the Outreach phase of the DTS and using them to tell people about the good news of Jesus. Our hope is that it will be the beginning of an adventurous life of knowing and following God to the ends of the earth and using your passions for His glory.x
C0MMUNICATIONS & MEDIA TRACK
In our Communications and Media track you will be looking at various forms of communication to present the good news of Jesus and what He is doing in the World. Our team here uses photography, documentary film-making and various social media platforms, and you will be working alongside them in exploring effective forms of communicating your story. You will study and practice these communication forms whilst on lecture phase here in Harpenden recording the stories what God is doing in the school and on the base. Then whilst overseas during the outreach phase you will again be using your gifts and talents to communicate Gods love to the nations and record what He is doing there. Our hope is that this track will be the beginning of a lifetimes adventure of impacting the nations with the message and knowledge of Christ.x
DATE / PRICING
DATE: 23 September 2018 – 14 March 2019.
Lecture Phase: £1,950
Outreach: £1300 + flights/visas (which is an additional £500-700 approx.)
WHAT IS A DTS?
Discipleship Training School (YWAM DTS) was created to help you discover your place in fulfilling the Great Commission (Matt 28:16-20). YWAM DTS is an intense full-time program, lasting five or six months. You will start with 3 months of lectures before stepping out into the nations serving God’s through evangelism, intercession and acts of compassion.
YWAM DTS is a prerequisite for not only becoming YWAM staff, but also for YWAM’s second-level training with University of the Nations
In the first 12 weeks, you will grow in your knowledge and understanding of God, His plan for your life, and His world. You will have a different lecturer each week on topics such as “hearing God’s voice”, the Bible, missions, evangelism, nature and character of God.
A crucial element to the learning experience is our “live/learn” environment. You’ll learn not only from lectures but also from community living, regular rhythms of worship and intercession, local outreach and practical service on our campus.
In the outreach phase you will travel as a team to another culture and serve through evangelism, intercession and acts of compassion. During outreach you will discover the beauty and difficulties of serving God in an intense cross-cultural experience.
Recent outreach locations have included Albania, Uganda, Middle East, Greece (refugee crisis) and Turkey.
Stu did his DTS in New Zealand in 2009 and he and his wife have been in YWAM staffing and leading schools ever since. He has four children. Stu moved back to the UK, coming to YWAM Harpenden in 2013. This DTS will be the 10th Stuart has been involved with. He enjoys sports and games and loves seeing people grow and develop during DTS and then released to make a difference in the world.
Beth is originally from Canada, and has served with YWAM for the past 8 years in USA and England. During this time, she has taken teams over 10 countries to minister to people, and worked with 4 DTS’s. Her passion is for young people; to see them walk in their identity as children of God, and to live out the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19) in their life.
Key areas of learning during DTS include:
- God’s Nature and Character – Encountering God
- God’s Intention for Individuals, Peoples and Creation – Seeing All of Life from God’s Perspective
- God’s Redemption: Sin and The Cross – Recognizing Jesus as Lord
- God’s Family: His Children & His Church – Becoming More Like Jesus
- God’s World: His Call & His Commission Doing the Works of Jesus – Doing The Works of Jesus
- YWAM: A Response to God – Knowing God; Making Him Known
You can find the full curriculum from the International DTS Centre at the following link: http://www.ywamdtscentre.com/dts-curriculum/
PURPOSE OF DTS
Purpose and Outcomes of DTS:
- To GATHER and CHALLENGE people to worship, listen to and obey God, releasing them (in the context of the DTS) to serve through evangelism, intercession, acts of compassion and other expressions of God’s heart for the world, possibly even pioneering new ministries.
- To INSPIRE and CULTIVATE growth in one’s relationship with God resulting in Christ like character, which is based on a solid Biblical foundation, the work of the Holy Spirit and the personal application of Biblical truth, especially concerning God’s Character, the Cross and empowering Grace.
- To SHARPEN one’s ability to relate to, learn from and work with people, including those of different cultures, personalities and perspectives.
- To further EQUIP each one to serve God’s purposes either in or outside of YWAM Family of Ministries, strengthening a commitment to reach the lost, especially the unreached, to care for the poor, and to influence all areas of society.
- To IMPART the vision and foundational values of Youth With A Mission International as well as that of the host operating location and to provide information regarding a variety of opportunities for service.
If you have any questions regarding this school, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
6 Highfield Oval, Harpenden, AL5 4BX, UK
ywamharpenden.org is the official website of Youth With A Mission Harpenden, a ministry of YWAM International and YWAM England.
Registered charity number 1156783. Company registration number 8807913 in England and Wales.
© 2018, YWAM Harpenden, a ministry of YWAM International